Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mary


This time of year especially we think about Jesus and celebrate his birth.

Tonight I had a Relief Society dinner at church and they asked me to read the part of Mary in the program. I really didn't think anything of it but as I read the part it hit me. I have always thought of Jesus and what his life was like, his purpose and all of the things he went through. But I have NEVER EVER thought of Mary and what she went through. I have thought oh Mary gave birth to Jesus but I never thought about how incredible she must have been and what it would have been like to know that your son was the Savior of the World. I have never thought of what it would have been like to raise this little boy and watch him grow up into a perfect man. Or what it would be like to watch your son be crucified on the cross. Now being a mother, I have a whole new appreciation for Mary. Sorry, its kind of long but especially if you are a mother it is worth the read..........




MARY, THE MOTHER OF JESUS
Yes, I am Mary; and yes, Jesus is my son. Indeed, blessed am I among women. My story is an old one, told and retold from before time began, and once again, here, today, by these women whom I love so well.
I am a woman, much the same as you, gifted with the opportunity of forming a partnership with God in providing a mortal temple for the spirits of his children. It is a sacred thing, motherhood, whether it concerns the Christ or any one of the infinitely precious spirits sent to each of you. For in the pure and beautiful love of a mother for her child, mankind comes closer to appreciating the love of God, than at any other time.
Like you, I hoped, dreamed and prayed for the benefit of the child I loved. I prepared meals, straightened beds and picked up toys. My relationship with my child was in so many ways no more mystical than that of you with yours. With him I sorrowed, wept, learned and grew. He taught me of life, and of love, of this world and the next, partly because He was the Christ, mostly because he was a child.
To me, his mother, he was especially in the beginning often just a child reaching and becoming. It was so true, what Luke said of me, that after the birth of my son, after the shepherds had come, born witness to the divinity of my babe and then returned to their flocks, I sat quietly in the soft light and kept all these things and pondered them in my heart. I was the only mortal alive who knew how I had come to conceive and bear this son of the most high. I had been told who He was, and what He was, and what He would become. And yet, as I looked at Him, lying in the manger, He was a child, a tiny baby, needing food, comfort and care. I did ponder, for many years, long and often, and sometimes painfully; and finally came to a full understanding when I stood at the foot of His cross.
For on that evening in a lowly manger was born more than a child. There was born a way of life, the personification of love, the hope of the world from the beginning until the end of time. I…I…who conceived him, who carried him, cared for him, and watched him live and die, give you my solemn word that he was indeed blameless and pure, that he lived to teach and died to save each of us, that he was and is and always will be the Son of God. I, Mary, know it to be true! Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment